7. Barriers, issues & risks
Known barriers to adoption of this solution so far include:
– Limits of complexity for larger projects
– Variations in required information between councils
– Availability of data (eg base maps, property data, GIS data, historical planning records)
– Data interoperability with back-office systems which are still largely document-based. For this reason, collaboration with the Southwark-led team working on an open, data-driven back-Office case management platform will be especially important.
– Transition strategy Should we continue to allow PDF document-based submissions?
– Digital inclusion Are there any users that would be excluded?
– Software as a service With no in-house dev team, most councils will require this pattern to be provided as part of a software service